Tuesday, October 13, 2009

I need to read more books

Today hacker news had a link to a New york times article about a women who is reading a book a day for a year. I read the article and thought I wish I could read that many books in a year. I don't think I could accomplish such a feat because I have never finished a book in one day. I think I did read a book in four days once but, it was a short book.

I want to read more books but, I am a slow reader. I read a sentence or paragraph and then I will read it again and sometimes again before I move on to the the next sentence or paragraph. Also when I come to a word I don't understand I look it up in my dictionary instead of guessing what it means.

Looking up words that I don't understand wouldn't be so bad if I remember the word the next time I read it. But I end up looking up the same words over and over again. Heck I even have trouble remembering the word I just looked up in the dictionary after I put the dictionary down but, before I start reading again so sometimes I need to look the word up a second time which is frustrating.

So anyway I was sitting in front of my computer dreaming about how great it would be able to read a book a day. Just thinking about something like that made me feel great. I Imagined all the great books I could read and how much better at reading I would become. It made my day. But sadly I don't think I could ever be able to read fast enough to read that many books. Maybe one book a week is possible but, I don't want to set a goal because I know I wont do it. I just want to dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment