Thursday, March 12, 2009

Some thoughts on why I want to program

I have not talked about programming for a while so I want to write about that today. I was going to write a post about clojure and say I have installed clojure on my computer, but then I erased it because I thought how uninteresting. It seems to me that all the posts I have written on programming just say I have installed such and such programming language on my computer. I want to write something better. So I'll try to write more interesting posts on programming.

I think sometimes about why I want to program a computer and the only answer I come up with is to make computer games. Then I start thinking that maybe I am wasting my time trying to learn how to program because I don't have any reason for wanting to program other than making games.

But sitting here thinking about what I want to write in my post I thought to myself well I don't need to have a goal about what type of programs I want to make. Solving problems like the ones at project Euler, maybe that's reason enough to learn how to program.

Writing this post has made me realize that I should stop worrying about what programs I want to make and that I need to have fun programming. If I never have an idea for a website or a great program oh well, solving problems at Project Euler will have to be a good enough reason to learn how to program.




No comments:

Post a Comment