Sunday, July 7, 2019

Review: Bats: An Illustrated Guide to All Species

Bats: An Illustrated Guide to All Species Bats: An Illustrated Guide to All Species by Marianne Taylor
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I had not given bats much thought before I read this book. I assumed there had to be one species of bat that lived who knows where. I was wrong. There are over 1,300 species of bats. A few of the species are even colorful.
I enjoyed looking at the pictures in this book. It was fun to read the description of each species. I only wish I had a better memory so I could remember everything I read.
Even after reading this book if I ever say a bat I would cover my head and run. I skittish around flying things. Birds also scare me. No bat or bird has ever harmed me. So I am not sure how I got to be scared of them.
I would be like john Candy and Dan Aykroyd in the movie The great outdoors. There was a scene where the two actors have to get a bat out of there cabin. They put on a lot of improvised protective gear. That would be me if I had to get a bat out of a rented cabin. But, I bet the bat would be more scared of me than I was of it.
Its amazing to me that anything is know about bats considering that they are active mostly at night. I think some bats are active in the daytime. I am probably wrong about that.
Even if you don't want to read the text I think that this book is worth looking though for the wonderful color pictures of bats.
I like batman so why am I scared of bats. Go figure. Batman protects. He does not injure.
I was surprised to learn that different species of bats eat different things. Some bats eat insects, other eat nectar, others invertebrates, others eat fruit. I was already aware that bats pollinated plants.
This book makes me want to get a bat detector and night vision goggles and head out into the night so I can see some bats. Maybe I would find a new species and have it named after me.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment