Sunday, January 4, 2009

Active server pages

A few days ago I was looking at a website I got from the dolans.com called TheFreeSite.com. TheFreeStie.com is a website that lists lots of freebies. And in the web host category on thefreesit.com I found a web host that has asp on their server. The web site host is called WebNG.com

I had never wanted to try asp before, but the web host was free so I thought I might as well sign up and try it. I don't have the right version of windows so I have to upload the asp files to webNG for testing. I wish I had the version of windows that comes with asp because testing my programs would be easier I'm sure.

I signed up for an account, and went to another website with an asp tutorial. As with almost all tutorials I have done the first program was to output hello world or some similar message to the screen. I tried to get my script to work for what seemed like hours, but it would not. I was very upset that my script would not work I felt like a failure, I was down in the dumps.

The I found W3C schools asp tutorial. I did their hello world program and it worked. I was overjoyed. I did it, my simple script worked. I was doing some of the w3c schools tutorial earlier today and asp is fun, so far.

One thing that supprised me about asp is I can use vb script to write the programs. I have always wanted to try vb script, but it only works with Internet explorer so I can not use it client side like javascript even thought I want to. I was not sure if vb script was used at all, but now I know I can use it with asp. Another thing I have learned since working with asp is the scripts have the extension asp. It seems obvious now what extensions the asp scripts have, but I did not know what file extension to use when I stated.

If anyone is reading this do you use asp for your website?

No comments:

Post a Comment