Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Review: Mastering Stand-Up: The Complete Guide to Becoming a Successful Comedian

Mastering Stand-Up: The Complete Guide to Becoming a Successful Comedian Mastering Stand-Up: The Complete Guide to Becoming a Successful Comedian by Stephen Rosenfield
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I enjoyed reading mastering standup. My favorite part of the book was the part about forms of stand up comedy. I had never thought about the different forms of standup comedy before.
Its so exciting to think that I might be able to write jokes that are funny and the express my point of view of the world. Instead of repeating other peoples jokes I could be repeating jokes that I came up with. I had never thought that I could do that before reading the book. Writing my own original stand up comedy is what I want to do.
I also liked part 3 of the book where the author tells how to write a first draft of material, writing setups and punchlines, and other things relating to writing comedy down.
Before I read mastering stand I would watch a stand up comedy and think how could they come up with those jokes. The comedians must need only a few minutes to write down a joke that will get huge laughs. I could never do that. By reading the book I learned that it can take a lot of work to write a joke that will get huge laughs. The book gave me confidence to try and write my own standup comedy. If I do the work maybe one day I can write funny jokes also.
I thought the book was very thorough. And its not that long so it was a quick read even for me. I am glad I read it. Now I need to get started writing jokes.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment