Thursday, August 28, 2008

Cobol programming language

I have wanted to try COBOL for a while, but all the free cobol compilers I have looked at seem hard to install. I like one click installs and all the compilers I saw I would have to download a few files instead of one .exe or zip like compilers for other programming languages. So yesterday I thought I would look on wikipedia for COBOL compilers. On wikipedia I saw a COBOL compiler I had not heard of called Wildcat COBOL compiler for .Net.

I have .Net on my computer so I downloaded the compiler and set my path. I tried wildcat and it probably would work fine if I had llasm.exe. The instillation instructions for wildcat said I needed llasm.exe in my path. I had .Net so I thought I would have llasm, but I did not have llasm in my path. So I could not get the compiler to work.

I probably need to download the .Net SDK to get llasm.exe so wildcat will work. I think the SDk is large so I can not download it. I am so disappointed that I can not try COBOL, but I am sure some day I will find a COBOL compiler.

No comments:

Post a Comment